Thanks 2017! Are You Ready 2018?
I started doing posts like this towards the end of 2015 and before 2016 started. I did another for the end of 2016 and before 2017. This year… well- it’ll be at the beginning of 2018 and after 2017 ended- and probably… for the most part it’ll be a little more brief as I sit here cranking out this post and getting ready for what’s ahead. I’m finally caught up on life- which I spent from July and until the first two weeks of December catching up. I spent the last few weeks of December in GA and off- not just from my job- but I made myself do basically nothing and stayed away from social media and to do’s.
2017- well in a nutshell was NUTS- all kinds of ups and downs-nuts.
I wrote this post about OCD, and I had NO idea the reception I would get! I started a BuJo and am obsessed. My health continued to be a roller coaster, but it’s calmed down to a non-debilitating level. My A1C skyrocketed with the combo of the period issues and stress so I got burned out on diabetes because I felt very defeated. I started having my blogs syndicated on Diabetes Daily. I tried out pottery- and LOVE it! So I’m continuing it! I worked with the CIT’s at Camp Kudzu this year and loved it! I stopped working at CDN. I stayed in diabetes but not in non-profit- which I never thought would happen honestly. But I’m loving it at Onduo! I also started working with Prae on the side- I am also loving that! I lived in San Francisco for a bit for training for my new job. I had no idea the extent of my mindset until I was out of the situations I was in, but I returned to a much better place. The kitties and I are doing well! My pup, Phaphy passed away late summer- oh- how I miss her. The crowdfunding for my book was successful, and I’m on my way to getting it published in 2018! Crowdfunding ment doing something that terrifies me- asking for help. I realized that I didn’t go a month without travel- which was fine until it really got to me towards the end of the year- when I barely went a few weeks without travel.
There were laughs.
There were cries.
There was blood (trying to be a bit punny here!).
I’ve gone outside of my comfort zone and pushed myself back into a much better place.
I met new people, physically lost a few people, and removed negative people out of my life.
I learned a lot too.
That’s my summary?
I’m excited for 2018- my goal since entering college was that college (and definitely not high school) wouldn’t be the best four years of my life- but each year would get better from there. So far, so good!
So to visit the resolutions from last year! I look at resolutions as goals and habits and not an end all be all either.
Did it happen?
- Write. Every. Damn. Day.
- YOU BET YA! I got way better about writing every day and it being a habit- now of course there are days I might not- but for the most part I just about always do. It wasn’t always related to my blog though- but also my book and other endeavours.
- Do more! Related to my blog and involvements.
- I definitely did that! I even made sure to keep boundaries and not overdo it- which is my tendency.
- Read more.
- SUCCESS! I don’t even know how many books I read- but I got way back into it again- specifically back to my normal.
- Send actual cards!
- YES- but adjusted- I was thinking a little extreme- but I send more hard copy cards now. 🙂
- Stick with yoga.
- I got better and more into it- I stick with free classes or things at home. It happened more towards the end of 2017- but it happened!
Didn’t happen, but that’s okay!
- Finish t-shirt blanket-
- well… I still don’t have my sewing machine in Boston- it’s still on my radar- but it’ll happen when it will happen.
- Create a goal for each month and do it. Try starting a new small habit every two weeks.
- I did this for a while, but I started pushing myself towards things that I wasn’t eager to do or needed to do. This was where my BuJo came into help!
- Go backpacking.
- The savings is there! But with the job change- it didn’t feel right so I have it on planner for 2018!
- Go backpacking (finally)!
- Get my book published!
- Try to actually carb count… instead of only guestimating. I’m not saying to leave that behind, but I want to try and do carb counting more- specially with things I might not be as familiar with.
- Be better about attending things in my area. I was doing better this year, but I realized I tend to get into my routine too much and don’t always explore enough in my area. So time to fix that!
- Find a provider that is willing to have a hysterectomy on their radar- I’m not saying this year/right away- but I want to find someone who doesn’t explain me away, judge me, tell me I’m wrong, throws gender norms into my care, etc. Because… I AM DONE!
I finally was in Boston for NYE to say goodbye to 2017 and hello to 2018! My BG’s actually cooperated with me! 2017 was filled with stepping outside my comfort zone and successfully getting out of a bad place.
Let’s see what 2018 brings… 🙂
Hey you! Yes, you!
Let’s connect on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram (maybe even 2 or all of those!).
If you enjoyed this post, please comment and share. I’d also appreciate your feedback.
and of course-don’t forget to keep up with “There’s More to the Story” via email! (Right sidebar towards the top).
Learn more about my book- launch and title TBD. You can buy it here!
2 thoughts on “Thanks 2017! Are You Ready 2018?”
Love this post, I am also writing a book.
I saw your tweet about animals and thought I will check your website. I like it!
I love pets. I have two beautiful thai cats called Tammy(female) and Yommo(male). Yommo is 1 year older than Tommy. He acts like a bigger brother for her. 🙂
I have even created an Instagram account for them ( https://www.instagram.com/tayo_home/ ) and probably soon they will have more followers than me (kinda funny).
I have subscribed to your newsletter. 🙂
Keep up the good work on your blog.