100 right before bed… that means I need TABS! otherwise I won’t sleep… But at least… I have FINALLY finished packing. For the most part. Whatwhat! I leave in a little over a day for Paris… WHAT? That seems so unreal to me. It seems just like yesterday that it was November, and I was working on my application. I will for sure be writing a blog about packing. and packing with Diabetes in mind- maybe tomorrow? 6 weeks worth of stuff! Golly gee!
The plan for tomorrow- waking up early- Shock my system kind of. Want a good sleeping schedule. I have got to get my runs in before class at 9:30 while I am there. No sleeping in for me! Also, there’s this thing called time– Paris- 6 hours ahead of us… Hello figuring out the lantus. I take mine in the morning- so far- I have been taking it slightly early each morning so that I can be in tune with it when I get there. Need to finish getting everything together- hopefully get my letter- they said they would email it. but didn’t get it. Do not want to go back to campus to get it. Fingers crossed. Need to see some people too before I head out.
Diabetes Blog Week- Day 2!
Prompt- Recently various petitions have been circulating the Diabetes Online Community, so today let’s pretend to write our own. Tell us who you would write the petition to – a person, an organization, even an object (animate or inanimate) – get creative!! What are you trying to change and what have you experienced that makes you want this change?
I, the undersigned, would like some world peace please… Too much? No but really. That’d be super awesome wouldn’t you say? “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” – Jimi Hendrix
I, the undersigned, would actually like a lot of things. Can I only write one? There are so many I’d like to be a part of, am a part of, would like to see happen– it’s hard to choose! Maybe I’ll list them all? and go into more detail for one (or so). I want so many people to see it too and be a part of it.
- A needed change to the 504 Plan- I’d send it to The U.S. Government.
- Anti-Bullying- especially for special needs and special education- I’d send it to Schools, Government,
- Education about Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes- Instead of changing the names– I’d send it to the Diabetes Community.
- Education about Diversity in School settings (all levels)- requiring more of them in college courses than there are now – I’d send it to schools, possibly the Government as well.
- To love yourself more- I’d send it to every person in the world.
- Changes in schools and the medical field regarding children- especially with special needs.- I’d send it to schools, medical settings, people, and the government.
- Mental Health Changes and more help- There are links between Chronic Illnesses and Mental Health (Outcomes. How it impacts it. Etc) So I’d say this is important to the Diabetes Community!- I’d send it to the Government, People, Healthcare settings
- People’s First Language- I’d send it to The World
- “Let’s Make the World Dance” – Kid President – I’d send it to the world.
- Diabulimia- It kind of bothers me a little bit. I don’t know what I want changed, but I feel like more information at least needs to be out there. I can understand why they do use it though. I just, I feel slightly uneasy about it.
- Plus More- I wanna change the world DUH!
So- now I’m going to go into a little more detail- possibly combining some.
1,2,4,6- Anything to do with Children and Special Needs. Making their lives easier. This has so much to do with where I want to go with my life. Also, I do plan on making some of these changes- somehow, some way. Education and acceptance needs to be everywhere too. Knowledge is power. Knowledge helps in so many ways. I also feel that Anti-Bullying needs to enforced more, and maybe more about it needs to be brought up.
The biggest thing I want to do is fix the 504 Plan. See my post about changing the 504 Plan! I want children’s lives to be easier. They already have so much to deal with. They shouldn’t have one more worry.
8- People’s First Language- Now, not everyone knows about this. But this is the reason my blog info section under the title says- I’m all these things but I happen to have Diabetes. (on my twitter as well). I’m more than my Diabetes. I am a person who just happens to live with Diabetes. It took me a long time to understand the difference between Diabetic and Diabetes. I would run around saying “I’m Diabetic.” My doctor would always get so upset with me. Now, I understand why. I am more than Diabetes. I am not Diabetic- I do not want to be put into one word- a box- simplified- ignored-pushed aside- labeled- put down (you get the picture). I am a person who just happens to live Diabetes- granted- Diabetes is a huge part of my life. But it is not all of my life. I know, I know- a lot of people say Diabetic- including people living with Diabetes. I was one of them- My JDRF team name used to be Mindy’s Diabetic Freaks- now it is Mindy’s Heroes. It doesn’t bother me quite as much when someone living with it says Diabetic, my insides cringe a little bit, and depending on the person and my relationship with them- I tend to say something- but- when other people say it, in everyday conversations, on the news, in the media, or I read it in college textbooks, newspapers. -it now bothers me. I do not want to be simplified into one word. I am so much more than that. Along with everyone else- not just Diabetes. We are so much more than a word, than this disease (chronic illness. disability. etc.) It doesn’t define everything. Yeah, it’s a part of my life- a big part of my life. But I want to be seen as more than that. I want people to think and know about more than that.
I think that getting it out of the media and print would help a lot. Along with more education about People’s First Language.
5- Permission to Love yourself- I believe this is incredibly important- Doesn’t need much explanation right?
Number 9- Let’s Make the world Dance- watch this. It will basically sum it all up. The world needs to be awesome! I want everyone to know how awesome they can be! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gQLqv9f4o&list=SPzvRx_johoA-YabI6FWcU-jL6nKA1Um-t&index=18
Another funny- (Kid President is Awesome!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmmni_WdcFI&list=SPzvRx_johoA-YabI6FWcU-jL6nKA1Um-t
Love, Words, Inspiration, and Insulin! -Until next time! and until there’s a cure!
Hey you! Yes, you!
If you enjoyed this post, please comment and share. I’d also appreciate your feedback.
and of course-don’t forget to keep up with “There’s More to the Story” via email! (Right sidebar towards the top).